Not a terrible week. The girls got watches on Sunday. Abby’s watch has an alarm (which she has set to tell us all when to go out to wait for the bus in the morning) and a second time zone (which she looked up the time in china so she’d know what time it was on the other side of the world). Makes sense. Her 5th Grade musical was this week. She danced through the whole thing and inspired the girls around her as well. That kid is charming as heck.
Olive…is capable of putting an enormous amount of cereal in her mouth all at once. It’s kind of terrifying. We played dress up a couple of times this week and she set up a judges table like on America’s Got Talent…she scored a solid seven for her performance. A super cool cold front rolled in on Wednesday, bringing with it a Snowday on Thursday. Olive calls the neighbors yard Snowmania, and build a family of snow piles, then they sledded and played minecraft with their cousin for the rest of the day.
Aaaaand I finally finished my last drawing for InkTober. This year, I’d decided to draw 31 halloween costumes that wouldn’t scare my friends. All in ink and all using a brush this time around. My best friend Sandy decided that it would be fun to draw along with me, and spent the month copying my drawings. At the beginning of the month, she was very unsure about her drawing ability. She told me that she enjoyed the quiet concentration they required, and the drawings got better every day.
It was so much fun drawing with her.
Things I learned from Inktober this year.
1. I’m funnier than I think I am sometimes
2. I’m capable of doing a good drawing both quickly and loosely
3.There’s a lot of value to loose drawings
4. Drawing “with” someone is super fun
5. Drawing variations on the same thing doesn’t have to be a chore
6. You can get a lot of variation in line from a brush.
7. The Project can be the beginning of something instead of the whole thing.
8. A little bit each day gets the work done a lot faster than o lot a bit in one day.
9. Daily focused practice pays great dividends!
10. (I didn’t realize this until literally the last day, so didn’t do it) You can use greys with ink to increase the depth of the whole drawing.
It was a lot of fun and I feel like I’m getting back on track this week.
Until next time, friends. Take care and be good.